Experienced Electrician for Salt Lake City, Ogden, Lehi, and Provo Areas

How to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Did you know that carbon monoxide is called the “silent killer”? This is for good reason. There have been an abundance of hospitalizations, and actual deaths caused by this deadly chemical, recently the need for carbon monoxide protection was made evident through the tragic loss of lives:

A family of four in Pocatello, Idaho was expected at church one Sunday. When they didn’t show up there or a planned family gathering, one relative went to their home to check on them. That’s when the dead bodies of the couple, Bill and Ross Parrish, and their children, 12-year old Liam and 14-year old Keegan, were found.

They all died at home in their beds. According to reports, all four of them went to bed the night before, and didn’t wake up the next morning. Bannock County Coroner, Kim Quick, reported that the silent culprit appeared to be carbon monoxide.

In New York, it was reported that a restaurant manager died from carbon monoxide poison during that very same weekend. Although that was the only fatality, seven emergency responders who came to the scene, and 27 others also had to be hospitalized due to the poisonous gas.

Again, that same weekend, seven victims of the deadly poison were rushed to local Ogunquit, Maine hospitals. All seven were at the Falls Motel when they began complaining of non-stop nausea and critical headaches. During their investigations, emergency responders discovered lethally high levels of the lethal toxin.

Then, there’s the carbon monoxide leak in a Baltimore hotel that send nine people to the hospital. Within a two-month timeframe in 2013, the silent killer caused the deaths of three people, all of whom were guests in the exact same motel room in North Carolina.

5 Carbon Monoxide Tips and Warnings

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer that puts everyone in comes in contact with at risk. Understanding the risks is one of the best ways to protect your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Pay attention to these five warnings:

  1. It’s odorless, tasteless and colorless. Carbon monoxide leaks are completely undetectable by our five senses. But, its presence can lead to severe illnesses and death.
  2. Leaks should definitely worry you. Its presence is common in closed garages with running automobiles, gas, vent-less space heaters, and leaky gas furnaces.
  3. Carbon monoxide cuts off your oxygen supply. If you don’t inhale oxygen, you will die. This silent killer makes it impossible to inhale the amount of oxygen needed to survive, causing lethal tissue damage, and eventually, death.
  4. Poisoning symptoms can be misleading. Many people who have been poisoned by carbon monoxide suffer from flu-like symptoms. They’ll also suffer from muscle-control loss and mental confusion, which lead to death if not treated quickly.
  5. Carbon monoxide is detectable. Carbon monoxide alarms detect the deadly poison in the air.

7 Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Safety Tips

Follow these seven tips to help keep your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning:

  1. Only use portable generators outside, never inside homes, offices, garages or other enclosed areas.
  2. Charcoal is never to be burned inside. And, never use a charcoal grill indoors, including garages.
  3. Never turn on a gas stove or oven for the purpose of heating a house or even a room.
  4. Fireplace dampers should remain open white the fireplace is in use, and until all ashes are cooled off.
  5. Watch for common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:
    1. Sleepiness
    2. Confusion
    3. Nausea
    4. Vomiting
    5. Headaches
    6. Dizziness
    7. Weakness
    8. The outside of every sleeping area within your home must have a carbon monoxide alarm installed. Each alarm needs to be battery-operated, and come equipped with backup power.

Don’t take chances with carbon monoxide. If you suspect a leak, evacuate immediately and call 911.

Speak Your Mind


Request An Appointment Today


Bluffdale, Utah Office


Address: 14553 S 790 W, Suite C Bluffdale, Utah

St George, Utah Office


Address: 230 North 1680 East Building T2 Suite 206, St. George, UT 84790

Hurricane, Utah Office


Address: 146N Old Hwy 91 #2, Hurricane, UT 84737

Kanab, Utah Office


Address: 217 E 300 S Suite 203 Kanab , UT 84741